My Weight Contract was inspired by scientific research and confirmed effectiveness of changes in human behaviour in certain abnormal conditions.
We provide several studies, articles and videos from various experiments on achieving goals, motivation and strong effects of simple plans.
The first video – we highly recommend it.
Daniel Goldstein (a behavioural economist) provides interesting information about the tools, which help us make wise choices for our future.
- Daniel Goldstein: The battle between your present and future self. TEDSalon NY2011, filmed Nov 2011. Watch on TED
- Dan Ariely: Self control. TEDx Duke. Watch on YouTube
- Ainslie, G. (1975). Specious reward: A behavioral theory of impulsiveness and impulse control. Psychological Bulletin, 82, 463–496.
- Ainslie, G. & Monterosso, J, R. Building blocks of self control: increased tolerance for delay with bundled rewards. Journal of the experimental analysis of behaviour. 2003, 79, 37–48 No. 1 (January).
- O’Donoghue, T. The Economics of Immediate Gratification.
- Dena Lefkowitz: Make a Contract With Yourself to Reach Desired Goals. The Legal Intelligencer, a journal for lawyers, Jan 16, 2014. Read
- Peter Ubel: The Ulysses Strategy. The New Yorker, Dec 11, 2014. Read
- Gollwitzer, P. M. (1999). Implementation intentions: Strong effects of simple plans. American Psychologist, 54, 493-503. Read
- Gollwitzer, P. M., & Sheeran, P. (2006). Implementation intentions and goal achievement: A meta-analysis of effects and processes. Advances in Experimental Social Psychology, 38, 69-119. Read
- Kirk, D., Oettingen, G., & Gollwitzer, P. M. (2013). Promoting integrative bargaining: Mental contrasting with implementation intentions. International Journal of Conflict Management, 24, 148-165. Read
- Oettingen, G. (2000). Expectancy effects on behavior depend on self-regulatory thought. Social Cognition, 18, 101-129. doi:10.1521/soco.2000.18.2.101. Read
- Oettingen, G. (2012). Future thought and behaviour change. European Review of Social Psychology, 23, 1-63. doi:10.1080/10463283.2011.643698. Read
- Oettingen, G., & Gollwitzer, P. M. (2010). Strategies of setting and implementing goals: Mental contrasting and implementation intentions. In J. E. Maddux & J. P. Tangney (Eds.), Social psychological foundations of clinical psychology (pp. 114-135). New York: Guilford. Read
- Oettingen, G., & Mayer, D. (2002). The motivating function of thinking about the future: Expectations versus fantasies. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 83, 1198-1212. doi:10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2068. Read
- Oettingen, G., Wittchen, M., & Gollwitzer, P. (2013). Regulating goal pursuit through mental contrasting with implementation intentions. In E. A. Locke & G. P. Latham (Eds.), New developments in goal setting and task performance (pp. 523-548). New York, NY: Routledge. Read